Saturday, August 24, 2013

thrift store spoils, ch. 1: Golden Poinsettia and mod fondue plates



Greetings, thrifters. I do believe that, this week, I was suffering from thrift store withdrawal. The family recently took a couple of weeks to head down south and, finally, to Texas, and I thrift shopped only twice (twice, I say!) during that time.

It would be so rude, after all, to make the fam sit in the car on vacation while I run inif only just for a minute!

This week, I suppose I was trying to make up for lost time. I didn’t score much, though—not much considering how often I “stopped in for just a minute” at the usual haunts, anyway. Still.



This is the Pyrex Golden Poinsettia 2 1/2 quart casserole. When I bought it, honest to goodness, I wasn't sure that it was one of the seasonal patternsin this case Christmas. (Now when I look at it, I say "duh.") 

But, really, I'm not into seasonal decor; I don't want to store seasonal stuff all year for, say, a day's or a month's use. I prefer to buy solid colors that'll do double/triple/what-have-you duty. For instance, my Pyrex bowl in primary green (404), can work at Christmas, in the spring, or on a lucky St. Patty's Day.

Anyhow, I brought this home (just loving the red and gold combo) and looked it up at Pyrex Passion. That's when I learned that it was seasonal. Ho. Ho. Ho. 


And why do I buy a single glass? I do so, because I can't pass up 1950s aqua drinking glasses or barware. Consequently, I now have a small collection of aqua blue, mid-century glasses with diverse designs and of various sizes. I'll write a special post about that odd collection at a later date.

Anyhow, this glass is by Hazel Atlas.


Another with the aqua blue. I can't find any info on who made this one, but I haven't researched much.


Yep, more aqua goodness. And, again, I've been unable to find out who made these. Any ideas?




I finally own fondue plates (inconveniently, at a time when I've promised myself to cut back on cheese consumption). I'd seen similar plates in thrift stores before, but hadn't quite caught on to what in the heck they'd be used for. 

Then I saw this (the following) recipe card in a 1972 Betty Crocker recipe set I bought at a thrift store this spring.




And it all made sense. Handy-dandy for dips and sauces!





All four plates were manufactured in Japan (as per info on tiny, shiny gold stickers that were still adhered to the backs when I bought them), butfor some odd reasononly the orange plates are imprinted with "Japan." 

I love the orange ones, because . . . well, because they're orange. And I love the Harvest Gold ones, because they remind me of my Florida Mamaw's kitchen. She had the same Harvest Gold fridge from the early 1970s when she moved to South Florida until the new millennium, I swear. 

They don't make 'em like they used to.

And I guess I need to start fonduing.






I bought this tile/trivet thingie, not only because my parents live near this mountain, but also because every time we visit, our route takes us right by it. Of course, the fam has gone all the way up the thing several of times. And I've attended a church that used to contain windows that allowed us to see the mountain during Mass. (Really nice.)

Ten years ago, I found two of these trivets/tiles in a thrift store in Mobile, Alabama. (I bought them both and gave Mama the better one, while I kept the one with the chips.) But then, just last week, I found this in a Goodwill store in Salem, Virginia. (I was just stopping in for a minute while dropping off one of the daughters for her freshman year in college. What patient girls.)

I think I'll frame it. Mamaw had a couple of tiles with birds on them, framed. They were kind of nerdy in the 1970s, I thought; but they're cool now.




I found this fun set of mugs (made in Japan and stackable, of course) in a Salvation Army thrift store. I think they're cute as can be, but I had in mind a possible future Etsy store when I purchased them. (I'm still trying to gear myself up for running a resale business . . . . )




Another sweet mug made in Japan. And another Etsy possibility.





I bought thisnot only because I think it's pretty dang cutebut because I thought it was a Swanky Swig (which I also own a few of, God help me). I came home, looked in my handy-dandy Swanky Swig collector's book I bought a while back, and couldn't locate it. (Perhaps the book contains incomplete info?) It's obviously a glass that came into a home with a product in it (I swear, it looks like a Kraft pimento cheese jar!), but my research has, thus far, turned up nothing.




The last thing I'll share with you today is this Old Fashioned glass. I bought it because, not only can I not pass up aqua blue drinking glasses, but I also can't pass up cool mid-century barware in which one might serve Bourbon. 


I like Bourbon.

This glass has a signature, but, for the life of me, I can't make it out. It almost looks as if it begins with "Wm," but I'm just not sure. 

And that's it for now. 

Goodness. Where am I gonna put all of this stuff?


2 comments:

  1. I suspect the name on that last glass is William A. Meier. An example here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/158895162/vintage-1950s-william-a-meier-glass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You're right.
      After your suggestion, I looked at it again—with my reading glasses on—and I can now make out the "Meier" after the "Wm."
      Thanks so much. I learned something new today.

      Delete